Thursday, November 24, 2011

I understand now...

Going home!!

Therapy for my son formed into a system organically.  Since it was my first time working with a newborn, I had to figure out how to apply treatment methods in a whole new way.

The hospital did not send me therapy right away.  The doctors figured we'd wait and see, but that didn't make any sense to me.  When treating adults who suffer strokes, we know that we see the most gains within the first 6 months after the stroke.  Then we see slower, but steady gains for the first 2 years.  After 2 years, the gains are slower and sporadic.

 Of course, children's' brains are more flexible.  The timeline is probably different.  But why wait to see a problem?  Why not help the brain create healthy pathways from the start?

That's why I started therapy the day he came home.  I didn't want to take a chance that his brain would have difficulty creating pathways so he could reach his milestones.

Honestly, it was really hard.  I was frequently overwhelmed.  I couldn't believe how all the parents I worked with survived.  My respect for all parents with special needs children increased with a deeper understanding that comes only with a shared experience. 

It took me 6 months to come out of my shell and look for support.  I was really surprised to find a large community of supportive parents sharing their experience with the world.  I don't know how many times I cried and felt inspired by both the children and their parents. 

So for all you amazing parents...and their even more amazing children...Thank you for sharing your life!

I hope to use this medium to share our story, find solace in the midst of craziness, and share my knowledge with anyone who might find it helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!